On November 8, 1948, the Most Worshipful Grand Master of the State of Indiana, Carl L. Hibberd, issued a dispensation authorizing the establishment of Glen Park Lodge.
This new lodge was to meet in the Red Room of the Gary Masonic Temple at 6th and Madison Street, and because its members were to be from the Glen Park area of Gary, it was so named. There were twenty-eight charter members.
At the first stated meeting held on December 6, 1948, there a total of seven petitions for the degrees of Masonry and twenty-one petitions for affiliations through transfers of demits.
The first corps of officers of the Glen Park Lodge No. 732 were installed on February 2, 1949 with Brother Russell H. Huffington as Worshipful Master.
The first Mason to be raised to the sublime degree of a Master Mason was Robert S. Miles. Glen Park Lodge continued to meet at the Red Room of the Gary Temple and soon after their formation they started planning for a lodge building of their own.
On May 17, 1949 the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the State of Indiana granted the Charter, and Glen Park Lodge No. 732, at Gary, Lake County, Indiana was born.
In 1951 a set of sketches was presented and this served as a goal for the lodge brothers. In 1959 a building site was purchased at 53rd and Harrison and Glen Park Lodge, which now had more than 400 members, began in earnest to raise funds for their new temple.
In October 1967, bids were accepted for construction of a new Temple. Construction began and on September 17, 1968, on authority of Dr. Robert M. Seibel, Most Worshipful Grand Master of Masons of the State of Indiana, the Charter of Glen Park Lodge No. 732 F. & A. M. came “home” to the new Temple.
This excerpt from the Dedication of the new temple in 1968 best describes the attitudes and beliefs, which motivated our predecessors in the construction of that beautiful structure.
“To all who have born the title of Worshipful Master of Glen Park Lodge, and to all the Officers of the Line and Building Committees, and the membership of the Lodge, and every Brother, be he a member or visitor whose presence graced our halls on any occasion during the past twenty years! To these and the fact that their presence among us bore a testimonial to their Faith in all our planning, our hopes and our dreams, we freely give credit for this accomplishment!”
“Pause not to ponder “credits – but hasten on –to challenge youth and men of the future, that they may find like faith, like courage and even greater determination that this structure may be put to its proper use-implanting in the minds of men the beauties of Brother Love, Relief and Truth!” The work of the Craftsmen is now o’er – and our commission still lives— “Build ye men in the mould of the Master, for it is this which is our greatest cause!”
For the next thirty years the Temple served as a meeting place for several groups with Masonic affiliation including White Shrine, Eastern Star, Demolay and Job’s Daughters. However, in 1998 it became apparent that because of social changes in the area and the relocation of many of its members, that the temple could no longer serve as proper meeting place and the building was sold.
Now, through Masonic kindness of Porter Lodge, Glen Park Lodge holds their meetings in Valparaiso and is planning the raising of a new Temple.